To give freely of our time, talent and money.
This is one of my favorite character traits. I am a giver to a fault, if that’s possible. I love to help people. That’s the main reason for this blog. I want to share what I’ve learned over the years with anyone who may need it. I want to help others step up to a better way of living. Generosity is a big key to living life to the fullest.
How generous are you? Do you give without counting the cost? Giving helps us take our minds off ourselves and focus on others. There’s joy and happiness in giving to others.
In this country, we have so much more than most people around the world. Some people struggle just to put food on their tables. In our home, we throw away quite a bit of food when it goes bad in the fridge. That is something I’m trying to do a better job on.
I feel blessed to have so much. I give what I have to others because I want others to feel the joy and contentment I feel. I don’t have to make a lot or be rich to give. But what I do have, I freely give to others.
My husband and I are debt free. We’ve learned how to save and handle money. We taught our kids the same. We can give more easily when we aren’t burdened by debt. We learned that giving is a blessing.
Are you a giver? Do you have a special project that you contribute to? Do you give of your time? Do you volunteer for local charities? Giving isn’t just about money but about spending time with others and using your talents generously. What are your talents? What are you good at that you could use to help someone else?
If you’re a Christian believer, a good rule of thumb is to give 10% of your income, to your church. Acknowledge God and be generous for the blessings He bestows on you. Give with a grateful heart. That leaves 90% to save, invest and live on the rest.
Here are some tips on giving:
*Learn to live within your means.
*Don’t buy what you don’t need.
*Pay cash for as much as possible.
Most people have the giving thing backwards. They give from what’s leftover after they pay the bills. When done this way, of course, there’s very little left for giving. Try giving first and see what happens.
It builds character to do without and make sacrifices. Some of the best stories I’ve heard were from grandparents who went through the Great Depression, where no one had anything. They learned to scrimp and save every piece of anything to get by. But they were happy and they gave the shirt off their backs to anyone who asked.
Joy and happiness are found in giving to others. Be generous.
If you are struggling financially and want some guidance, I’d be happy to help with more detailed advice. Sign up for the blog and send me a message.
God bless. —Barb